Thursday, July 30, 2015

Back to school, back to school...

So for most of my pre-reqs, I'm attending the local community college. As a student several years out of undergrad at a very large public school, it's been weird. But good, so far. I started with one class for this summer term so I could dip my toes back in the higher education swimming pool, Intro to Biology. The class itself is great - a good refresher, even though I was bummed to have to take it in the first place. I didn't have to take a college-level bio class since I scored myself a nice little 5 (out of 5) on AP Biology in high school. So just about everything we've learned I'm sitting there like, "oh yeah, I remember that." Making cell models out of Jell-O and candy really did pay off, I guess.

But what strikes me as the most interesting is the mix of people. There are about 40 people in the lecture, and I've learned so far the students are all across the board. Many seem to be students who regularly attend a public university, but are home for the summer sneaking in extra classes on the cheap. And there are several who are current students at the community college. Then there are a handful like me, older and going back to school, though some are much older. There are a few who I would estimate at being in their 40s, at least. To be honest, this made me feel pretty good. If they can go back to school at 40, I can at 26. Though, I do feel weird to look so young. I find myself wanting to talk to the older/returning student crowd, but because I look like I just graduated high school, I've got the undergrad kids talking to me. I know it sounds ridiculous to call them "kids" because they are only 8-6 years younger than me, but boy does that really make a difference. I got to talking to one classmate about music, and he specifically mentions liking he bands he liked in sixth grade. He names a few and I realize I was about to graduate high school when these bands were popular... 

I also have to say, this class really hammers home the importance of basic science education in our country, especially the stuff about your own body. From some of the questions people ask, I have to wonder, how did you get this far in life? A choice gem: when talking about body parts "leftover" by evolution, such as the appendix, a student asks about belly buttons. Instructor explains why yes it is still very important for the umbilical cord, etc etc. Second student asks, then why do boys have a belly button? And there's where my eyes widen in shock. Oh boy. Another question - why don't skulls have noses? I realize maybe the difference between cartilage and bone may not be common knowledge, but I still got a kick out of it. Can't you feel your nose is much softer than your skull?? Idk, let's at least thank their lucky stars they're being educated now.

Please kids, stay in school. :)


Every great wizard in history has started out as nothing more than what we are now, students. If they can do it, why not us? - Harry Potter

No comments:

Post a Comment