Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Welcome, or Remembering to Turn on the Light

I've always wanted to write a blog; I'm a good writer and I enjoy it. But having come from the social media and marketing realm, I never thought I had a good enough idea for a blog that would be, ya know, "marketable" - keep eyes on the page and ad dollars in the pocket. So in a fitting mirror of my recent "to hell with it" quitting of my job in advertising, I'm saying "to hell with" writing a blog for anyone else. I'm writing this for me, as I go though this giant, scary, exciting change in my life. However, I do hope that this blog can be inspiring and maybe even motivational to others who may be like me three months ago, sitting in a cubicle hating not just their job, but their career prospects, their feeling of hopelessness, their lack of motivation to do something more, so you can get up and go to the edge of that cliff with so much fog you can't see what's at the bottom - and you jump. Because, as I know now, even though you can't see it now, there is a bottom and you will land on your feet.

Anyways, because I know you're all hanging by a thread, what is it that got me here? Well, I went to the University of Michigan with a vague idea of any real career aspirations, and spent four years going back and forth and all over the place - I considered journalism, psychiatry, medicine, environmental law, and probably a few other fleeting ideas - but eventually settled on a double major in communications and psychology, with a special focus on marketing and social psychology specifically. So I dutifully got an internship in marketing after graduation, and began my way on to a successful career in advertising. It was certainly fun and interesting at first, but I guess it was one of those things where the more I moved up and around and learned what it would be like to stay in the field, the more I wanted out. Now I can't say this for everyone in advertising, because I know there are people for whom it is very lucrative and they are truly happy, but for me, this was my experience: Firstly, the people - so. many. assholes. People with no regard for their employees, their inferiors or superiors, who only care about making themselves look good and advancing their own careers. And the unhappiness! If you're not an asshole, you're a stressed-out mess. I've never met so many people in one place so unhappy with their lives. The complaining especially - every time you go to lunch, go for drinks after work, or even are waiting for a meeting to begin - so much complaining. I would find myself doing the same thing - when I'd get home from work all I wanted to do was complain to my poor husband. Then he tells me about his job, which is also a recent career change, and he loves it - sure, he has small complaints here and there, but overall he enjoys going to work every day. I on the other hand can't keep track of how many times I cried on the drive home. When we'd hang out with his coworkers, they all talk about enjoying their jobs and if they complain about something they're problem solving and they're excited to meet tomorrow to figure it all out.
So, I can't say I had a light bulb moment, because it was more of a gradual brightening of said bulb - but I did eventually have the heart-to-heart with myself to ask, what the hell am I doing? Why I am still doing this? And two months ago, I made up my mind to quit. With no other plans concrete plans beyond that. I had been toying with the idea of going back to school for years, and was pretty set on going for nutrition to be a registered dietitian. So for the last two months I've been doing a combination of researching, soul-searching, and unapologetically enjoying doing nothing. Fast forward to now, yesterday was my first day of class, and I'm on my way to pursuing a career as a Pathologist's Assistant. It's radically different from where I began, but I truly believe it is a career I will enjoy. More on that for another blog.

So, there it is. I am glad to be able to share this journey with you, and I hope you enjoy it.

Until next time, a quote from my favorite series of literature:

"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."
- Albus Dumbledore

No comments:

Post a Comment