Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Personal Re-Branding

I have to say, even though I have left the social media career field, I do still enjoy social media. I mean, I wouldn't have spent years at jobs in social if I didn't have an underlying interest. And studying it did make good use of both my communications and psychology background.
In my first job out of college, I was interning at an online job board. As social media was still a budding phenomenon, in the blogs and resources we provided our job searchers we repeatedly stressed the importance of building an online "personal brand". It's a fact that people are going to search your name online, and of course you want them to find good things, and if you can control those things, even better. It's a lesson I have taken into my own "personal brand", and considering the amount of Googling I've done on interview candidates, I'd be willing to bet it has helped, or in the least not hurt, my chances of getting the interviews and jobs I've had since that internship. And I don't just believe this is an important strategy for advertising or marketing folks either. Everyone is being Googled nowadays - you can find a new dentist, interior designer, electrician, dog sitter, and everything in between online. Don't tell me you've never Googled the name of someone before you have met them!
In any case, as I slowly back my way out of one career an into the next, I think it makes sense for my social presence to follow accordingly. And hey, maybe also attract a few new readers. :)
So what this means for my pages is still in the works, but if you follow me anywhere online I will be (at least attempting, I do work two jobs and have to study for three classes) posting more items relevant to my intended fields. So if you wonder why there are pictures of weird diseases on my Pinterest or why I tweeted a death-positive article, now you know!

And because it's hard to find a Harry Potter quote about branding or social media, I figure a quote from the self-proclaimed expert of re-branding in the wizarding world would suffice:
"When I was twelve, I was just as much of a nobody as you are now. In fact, I’d say I was even more of a nobody! I mean, a few people have heard of you, haven’t they? All that business with He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named!" He glanced at the lightning scar on Harry’s forehead. “I know, I know — it’s not quite as good as winning Witch Weekly’s Most-Charming-Smile Award five times in a row, as I have — but it’s a start, Harry, it’s a start.”
- Gilderoy Lockhart

No comments:

Post a Comment